Welcome to Go Dog Go Cafe’s Haibun Wednesday!
What exactly is Haibun?
Autobiographical poetic prose accompanied by haiku.Bruce Ross
In his old age Basho, who may be credited with establishing the haiku form, undertook a long journey to the remote regions of northern Japan, fully expecting to die before completing it. He did complete the journey, and his record of it has become a classic of world literature and an example, in the broadest sense, of haibun, autobiographical poetic prose accompanied by haiku.
– Journey to the Interior, American Versions of Haibun, Edited by Bruce Ross
Some things to keep in mind when writing haibun:
- The range of haibun is broad and frequently includes autobiography, diary, essay, prose poem, and travel journal.
- A haibun is a combination of prose and haiku.
- The prose is brief and simple and usually written in the present tense.
- The haiku should not attempt to repeat, quote, or explain the prose.
- A haibun should be titled.
Contemporary Haibun Online
Haiku Society of America
Knock-Your-Socks-Off Art and Literature
Poets.org – Closer Look at Writing Haibun
Word Craft: Prose & Poetry: The Art of Crafting Syllabic Poetry
* If you know of other online or paper resources, let us know!
7/27 entries on SOMETHING HIDDEN
Loved the stories this week…thank you for sharing!
Ron. Lavalette – Vanishment
Sillyfrog’s Blog – Inspired Echoes
Cognac Project – Taking Risks
David [ben Alexander] – Psyche, or: Pasithea
Fake Flamenco – Hidden in Limestone Caves
Now over to you…
- Let’s go with CRACK(S) this week. Could be cracks in the road, cracks in a marriage, or cracks along your ceiling. Go where the prompt takes you!
Here are my thoughts on the prompt: Crack or Cracks?
- I will be on a digital-free vacation 🙌🏻 next week so post the poem to your blog by AUGUST 23, tag Go Dog Go Cafe, and include a link that leads readers back to this post.
- Add the link for your poem in the comments below.
- Read one or two of other writer’s links…we all get better together.
Hey y’all, thanks for visiting the Go Dog Go Cafe and reading today’s selection. I am Donna Matthews, a born and bred Texan who can usually be found writing at the DJ Ranch, doodling, taking pictures, and traveling the world on foot. I’m all about love, people, sharing, and exploring life together, and would love to get to know you. Come on over for a visit sometime 💙
7 thoughts on “Haibun Wednesday, August 3, 2022”
Good for you for taking a digital-free vacation! I hope you enjoy it
Pingback: Resplendent sparkles, or: Broken asphalt – The Skeptic's Kaddish 🇮🇱
Enjoy your vacay!
Pingback: Ephemeral – Cognac Project
Hope you have a great vacation! Enjoy! Here’s my Haibun: https://cognacproject.wordpress.com/2022/08/04/ephemeral/
Pingback: Cracks | Light Motifs II