Welcome to Go Dog Go Cafe’s Haibun Wednesday!
What exactly is Haibun?
Autobiographical poetic prose accompanied by haiku.Bruce Ross
In his old age Basho, who may be credited with establishing the haiku form, undertook a long journey to the remote regions of northern Japan, fully expecting to die before completing it. He did complete the journey, and his record of it has become a classic of world literature and an example, in the broadest sense, of haibun, autobiographical poetic prose accompanied by haiku.
– Journey to the Interior, American Versions of Haibun, Edited by Bruce Ross
Some things to keep in mind when writing haibun:
- The range of haibun is broad and frequently includes autobiography, diary, essay, prose poem, and travel journal.
- A haibun is a combination of prose and haiku.
- The prose is brief and simple and usually written in the present tense.
- The haiku should not attempt to repeat, quote, or explain the prose.
- A haibun should be titled.
Word Craft: Prose & Poetry: The Art of Crafting Syllabic Poetry
* If you know of other online or paper resources, let us know!
7/20 entries on NOISE
Quite the noisy stories this week…thank you for sharing!
Ron. Lavalette – Front Porch / Wednesday’s Forever
Lori Zybala (ecopoet) – Amphitheater
Bilocalalia – Nose Noise
Carol Anne – Internal Noise
The Bag Lady – Haibun
David [ben Alexander] – Orange lights, or: Testy pedestrians
Now over to you…
- Let’s go with SOMETHING HIDDEN this week. Maybe it’s an inside secret or an outside treasure of sorts. Go where the prompt takes you!
Here are my thoughts on the prompt: It’s a throwback to last year’s Long’s Peak hike: A Waterfall Instead
- Post the poem to your blog by AUGUST 2, tag Go Dog Go Cafe, and include a link that leads readers back to this post.
- Add the link for your poem in the comments below.
- Read one or two of other writer’s links…we all get better together.
Hey y’all, thanks for visiting the Go Dog Go Cafe and reading today’s selection. I am Donna Matthews, a born and bred Texan who can usually be found writing at the DJ Ranch, doodling, taking pictures, and traveling the world on foot. I’m all about love, people, sharing, and exploring life together, and would love to get to know you. Come on over for a visit sometime 💙