Welcome to Go Dog Go Cafe’s Haibun Wednesday!
What exactly is Haibun?
Autobiographical poetic prose accompanied by haiku.Bruce Ross
In his old age Basho, who may be credited with establishing the haiku form, undertook a long journey to the remote regions of northern Japan, fully expecting to die before completing it. He did complete the journey, and his record of it has become a classic of world literature and an example, in the broadest sense, of haibun, autobiographical poetic prose accompanied by haiku.
– Journey to the Interior, American Versions of Haibun, Edited by Bruce Ross
Some things to keep in mind when writing haibun:
- The range of haibun is broad and frequently includes autobiography, diary, essay, prose poem, and travel journal.
- A haibun is a combination of prose and haiku.
- The prose is brief and simple and usually written in the present tense.
- The haiku should not attempt to repeat, quote, or explain the prose.
Contemporary Haibun Online
Haiku Society of America
Knock-Your-Socks-Off Art and Literature
Poets.org – Closer Look at Writing Haibun
Word Craft: Prose & Poetry: The Art of Crafting Syllabic Poetry
* If you know of other online or paper resources, let us know!
Last Week’s Entries on Hope and Joy
David [ben Alexander] – Controlled temperature, or: Swimming pool
Barbara S – Joy
Ron. – Answered Prayers
ecopoet – Hopeful Moon
Bilocalalia – After A Morning Walk
A Big Fat Can of Worms – Haibun for Hope
Jewish Young Professional – At The Top Of, What Exactly?
Misky – Haibun Wednesday
Now over to you…
- This week’s prompt is to write about YOUR MORNING. Go where the prompt leads.
* Haibuns are often personal reflections…reflective diary entries even.
Here are my thoughts on the prompt: A Human Yogi
- Post the poem to your blog, tag Go Dog Go Cafe, and include a link that leads readers back to this post.
- Add the link for your poem in the comments below.
- Read one or two of other writer’s links…we all get better together.
Hey y’all, thanks for visiting the Go Dog Go Cafe and reading today’s selection. I am Donna Matthews, a born and bred Texan who can usually be found writing at the DJ Ranch, doodling, taking pictures, and traveling the world on foot. I’m all about love, people, sharing, and exploring life together, and would love to get to know you. Come on over for a visit sometime 💙
13 thoughts on “Haibun Wednesday, March 9, 2022”
Pingback: A Tolerable Circularity | Scrambled, Not Fried
Pingback: Late summer, or: Early winter – The Skeptic's Kaddish 🇮🇱
Thanks for the prompt, Donna 🙂
LikeLiked by 2 people
Pingback: 09.03.22 Haibun Wednesday – It's Still Life
Pingback: Cycle – ecopoet (L.Z)
Thank you for letting me share, eco
LikeLiked by 1 person
Pingback: Go Dog Go Cafe Haibun – The Bag Lady
Pingback: Better or Worse [fpq] | Light Motifs II
Pingback: My Morning – Out of the Cave
Pingback: Haibun Wednesday – Mornings – ❀ Welcome To LSS Attitude of Gratitude❀
Pingback: Sex in the Morning [NSFW] – Jewish Young Professional
I used the prompt to create a poem to include in my forthcoming submission to The Temz Review, so I can’t publish it on my blog. I’ll drop a link to The Temz Review in case you or anyone else would like to submit work to them as well.
LikeLiked by 1 person