Welcome to Go Dog Go Cafe’s Haibun Wednesday!
What exactly is Haibun?
Autobiographical poetic prose accompanied by haiku.Bruce Ross
In his old age Basho, who may be credited with establishing the haiku form, undertook a long journey to the remote regions of northern Japan, fully expecting to die before completing it. He did complete the journey, and his record of it has become a classic of world literature and an example, in the broadest sense, of haibun, autobiographical poetic prose accompanied by haiku.
– Journey to the Interior, American Versions of Haibun, Edited by Bruce Ross
Some things to keep in mind when writing haibun:
- The range of haibun is broad and frequently includes autobiography, diary, essay, prose poem, and travel journal.
- A haibun is a combination of prose and haiku.
- The prose is brief and simple and usually written in the present tense.
- The haiku should not attempt to repeat, quote, or explain the prose.
Contemporary Haibun Online
Haiku Society of America
Knock-Your-Socks-Off Art and Literature
Poets.org – Closer Look at Writing Haibun
Word Craft: Prose & Poetry: The Art of Crafting Syllabic Poetry
* If you know of other online or paper resources, let us know!
Now over to you…
- This week’s prompt is to write about a parental relationship. Maybe you and your parent…or you and your child(ren). Or perhaps both. Go where the prompt leads.
- Post the poem to your blog, tag Go Dog Go Cafe, and include a link that leads readers back to this post.
- Add the link for your poem in the comments below.
- Read one or two of other writer’s links…we all get better together.
Hey y’all, thanks for visiting the Go Dog Go Cafe and reading today’s selection. I am Donna Matthews, a born and bred Texan who can usually be found writing at the DJ Ranch, doodling, taking pictures, and traveling the world on foot. I’m all about love, people, sharing, and exploring life together, and would love to get to know you. Come on over for a visit sometime 💙
11 thoughts on “Haibun Wednesday, February 16, 2022”
Reblogged this on Ivor.Plumber/Poet and commented:
Hello readers and followers, you most welcome to participate in our new format from “Go Dog Go Cafe”, which is being organised by Donna Matthews, an interesting format of writing a “Haibun”, so read all about how to write a Haibun, and you are all welcome to join us at Go Dog Go Cafe, and post your articles here on “Haibun Wednesdays” …by clicking on the link at the bottom of this article >>
View Original Post…
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you for this great info and for teaching us!
Pingback: Landing pad, or: Helicopter seeds – The Skeptic's Kaddish 🇮🇱
Pingback: V.1 C.3 Tooth Fairy – That's No Way to Wash a Dragon
Pingback: little window | Solitary 4 Tomorrow - in Dialogue
Pingback: After The Fact | Scrambled, Not Fried
I used the prompt to create a poem for submission to Humana Obscura’s spring/summer issue. I’ll share the link in case anyone would like to submit their own poetry. Submissions are open until the end of February.