Welcome to Go Dog Go Cafe’s Haibun Wednesday!
What exactly is Haibun?
Autobiographical poetic prose accompanied by haiku.Bruce Ross
In his old age Basho, who may be credited with establishing the haiku form, undertook a long journey to the remote regions of northern Japan, fully expecting to die before completing it. He did complete the journey, and his record of it has become a classic of world literature and an example, in the broadest sense, of haibun, autobiographical poetic prose accompanied by haiku.
– Journey to the Interior, American Versions of Haibun, Edited by Bruce Ross
This week’s writer’s guide…
[Concerning Haiku] So to write a haiku means to write about how you feel at a certain moment in time even if you are writing it down sometime after…[a haiku] tries to present feelings through images that were part of an experience.
How to Haiku, Bruce Ross
at the lot, the trees
– Tom Tico
What feelings come to you after reading the haiku? For me, sadness, being left out, rejected even…even more so during the holiday season.
Now over to you…
- This week, let’s write about something that scares you, but you’d be willing to try. Think skydiving, or traveling alone, or starting a new hobby. Remember, the prose is autobiographical…so write as if journaling or a diary entry. Finally, give us some imagery in your haiku that shows us how you were feeling.
- Post the poem to your blog, tag Go Dog Go Cafe, and include a link that leads readers back to this post.
- Add the link for your poem in the comments below.
- Read one or two of other writer’s links…we all get better together.
Hey y’all, thanks for visiting the Go Dog Go Cafe and reading today’s selection. I am Donna Matthews, a born and bred Texan who can usually be found writing at the DJ Ranch, doodling, taking pictures, and traveling the world on foot. I’m all about love, people, sharing, and exploring life together, and would love to get to know you. Come on over for a visit sometime 💙